My Approach to Tutoring
I use a direct approach with Spanish tutoring. This means I like to hear students speaking Spanish as much as possible. I try to dive right into the language while still letting the student feel comfortable enough to ask for clarity or to review a particular part of the lesson.
I always like to know the student’s goals and then structure the lessons around those goals. I realize that each student has a unique way of learning. That is why I like to familiarize myself with students' learning styles and cater to their learning needs.
I’ve worked with adults and children in impoverished areas of Philadelphia and Camden, and I understand how frustrating it can be to not be understood. While at Temple, I learned about the increasing population of Spanish-speaking immigrants and their rights to have available interpreters while receiving medical care. I successfully completed Bridging the Gap for Medical Interpreters. Since then, I’ve been interpreting in various medical settings, from behavioral hospitals to rehabilitation centers.
My linguistic abilities, positive attitude, and determination are just a few of the many qualities that I use to better a student's learning experience. I’m a well-rounded person that loves theater, art, and music as well.
My Tutor Profile
All levels of Spanish, Interpretation and Translation skills, Portuguese, ESL
Temple University, Philadelphia, PA (2013 - 2015), Summa Cum Laude Graduate
Bachelor's Degree: Spanish
Courses Taken: Anatomy and Physiology, Medical Terminology for Spanish Majors, Spanish for Health and Human Services, Spanish for Business, Portuguese for Spanish Majors.
Summary of my Experience
- Tutoring at the high school and college level
- Completion of Bridging the Gap Medical Interpreter Program
- Experienced Tutor, Interpreter, Translator, and Proofreader
- Currently a freelance Interpreter and Translator
- Traveled to Brazil and provided International ESL classes to underprivileged children in Rio de Janiero
- Instructed an ESL language exchange program in Philadelphia
- Developed an ESL course of study and curriculum for intermediate Spanish speakers in Venezuela
- Intern at Puentes de Salud. Helped teach English to first generation Spanish speakers in Philadelphia