My Approach to Tutoring
I have been a teaching artist since 2007. I earned my undergraduate degree from Syracuse University and my teaching certificate from Drexel. For writing (my calling and favorite subject) I use the Four-Square method combined with my own enthusiasm for individual expression to guide students through every step of the writing process. For math and other subjects, I connect skills to real-world experience using Teach Like a Champion questioning techniques combined with manipulatives and scaffolded learning. In all subjects, I follow the “I Do, We Do, You Do” method, first demonstrating the skill, then offering guided practice, then supporting independent practice. I believe that every child has a wealth of potential and strength that must be valued and nurtured, and that human connection is the most important aspect of any teacher/student relationship. During my experience teaching in inclusive classrooms, I learned how to adapt each lesson for all skill levels so that everyone could make progress from different starting points.
My Tutor Profile
K-8 Writing, Elementary Reading, K-3 Math, Elementary Social Studies, Elementary Science
- Drexel University Elementary Education Certification Program
- Professional Development Trainings for Philadelphia Free Library Afterschool Program
- AmeriCorps Training Including: Project Based Learning,100 Book Challenge, Media Literacy,Group Management/ De-escalation, Child Development, Teaching Tolerance
- Syracuse University, Bachelor of Arts in Art History, Summa Cum Laude
- Laguna College of Art and Design, Fine Arts Major
Summary of my Experience
- Two years as grade teacher for the School District of Philadelphia, inclusive classrooms.
- Eight years leading poetry readings and workshops for children, teens, and adults.
- Two years as After School Leader at the Philadelphia Free Library.
- Two years AmeriCorps service in Philadelphia Public Schools.
- One year as Teaching Artist in Syracuse, NY Public Schools.
- Created and monitored student blogs at theamazingkidsofroom200.blogspot.com and leapkidsmag.blogspot.com
- Summer camp poetry teacher and counselor since 2011.