My Approach to Tutoring
I use a strengths-based approach when tutoring. This means that I work to identify the strengths of each student in order to motivate, build confidence, and structure individualized, effective lessons. From there, we can set goals based upon areas students want to improve.
The beginning stages of language learning can be very difficult and frustrating. As a non-native speaker, I can relate to this challenge. I encourage students to develop a growth mindset---anyone can learn and improve with practice! Making mistakes is part of the learning process, especially when learning another language. To help with the process, I scaffold lessons to first master the basic building blocks of the language, and work from there--eventually refining pronunciation and speech fluidity.
Finally, trust and rapport are the foundation for any successful tutoring relationship. I like to get to know students, their interests, learning styles, and goals. Studying the Spanish language has enriched my life in so many ways, and I look forward to helping more students expand their horizons through language study.
My Tutor Profile
Beginner, intermediate, and advanced Spanish, GED test prep, ESL, Reading, Writing, elementary school Math.
University of Pennsylvania, Master of Social Work, 2014
University of Pennsylvania, Bachelor of Arts in Urban Studies, 2009
Universidad de Sevilla, Consortium for Advanced Studies Abroad, 2007
Summary of my Experience
- 16 years experience studying the Spanish language.
- International travel, work and volunteer experience in Spain, Bolivia, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, Chile and Ecuador have enabled an understanding of country-specific grammar, accents, and vocabulary.
- 10 years experience tutoring Spanish to a broad range of learners, while encouraging the pursuit of long-term language study and cross-cultural experiences.
- High school Spanish teaching experience in Philadelphia Public Schools
- Elementary Reading, Writing, and Math teaching experience with Philadelphia Freedom School
- GED test prep and ESL teaching experience with Congreso de Latinos Unidos